The Hub’s founders
At the beginning of the 20th century, 118 Mill St. was the Orpheum Theatre. It later became the O’Brien Theatre which played a key role in the triage of victims from Almonte’s 1942 wartime train wreck. The recent renovation of 118 Mill St has revealed the glorious original theatre ceilings over 20 ft. high, burgundy walls and turquoise blue trim cornices … even the projection booth!
The Hub’s current day renovation shows a building that can perform double-duty with offices for social services delivery on an upper mezzanine and 30% more retail display area on the main floor. Communal and sorting areas, upgrading an accessible public bathroom, and ensuring a more barrier-free environment are planned for December 2018.